The Friends » Employment Opportunities – Executive Director
We are citizen stewards of the James River Park System (“The Park”). We do this by providing ongoing support for conservation, enhancement, and recreational enjoyment of The Park, while protecting its natural and historic environments.
Purpose of New Hire
- Work with the Board to develop and execute a unified strategy that helps the Friends of James River Park (“FOJRP”) continue to be a recognized and trusted organization in the region with engaged, vested constituents.
- Lead the fundraising efforts to raise significant sums for the betterment of the Park and the implementation of the James River Park System Master Plan.
- Oversee operations of the FOJRP.
- Advocate for and support the timely implementation of the James River Park Master Plan
- We expect the Executive Director will be an active user of The Park and have a passion for sustaining, maintaining, and growing The Park and The Friends’ Group
Executive Director Job Description Draft
The Executive Director of the Friends of James River Park will have the opportunity to help guide the organization into a new chapter. The Executive Director will work with an active and engaged Board of Directors and staff members of the James River Park System, including a close working partnership with the Superintendent to fulfill the implementation of the James River Park System Master Plan and other Park initiatives and bring awareness of The Park to a larger, more diverse constituency. The Executive Director will report directly to the President of the Friends’ Group. The Executive Director will also be responsible for ensuring the development of a unified strategy and overseeing the implementation of the direction/goals determined and approved by the Board.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Lead the development of the James River Park System Master Plan funding strategy and implementation by working with the Board, other supporting organizations, and the City of Richmond.
- Identify and apply for grant opportunities to accomplish no. 1 above.
- Build and sustain relationships to engage a diverse group of current and potential Park enthusiasts, funders, community partners and members in the region to support and enjoy the James River Park System.
- Take a leadership role in increasing operating revenue for FOJRP.
- Work with the Board and committees to achieve their strategic goals for advocacy, finance, communications, revenue generation, and Board development
- Manage Board governance and operations – i.e., make sure committees are meeting and reports for Board meetings are ready in time the Board meeting
- Directly supervise FOJRP employees (only one currently), contractors and contracts.
- Carry out any other duties assigned by the Board.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree. Environmental sciences degree will be highly considered.
- 5 years or more of experience in management and fundraising work with nonprofit organizations.
- Strong administrative skills and work ethic with a proven track record of achieving results
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including oral, written and electronic
- Demonstrated success in fundraising and grant writing
- Ability to balance strategic thinking with implementation
- Demonstrated proficiency in fiscal management.
- Ability to plan, develop and manage multiple events/activities concurrently
- Proficiency with current technology – please share specific experience in software package usage (i.e., Microsoft suite, Google, CRM database, etc.)
- Ability to work and achieve goals independently.
- Interest in/knowledge of The Park and/or the outdoors
- Ability to collaborate with and motivate diverse groups of people while leveraging the talents of staff and volunteers
Compensation—Estimated $50,000-$70,000 which includes a benefits stipend
How to apply:
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, references, and examples of fundraising and grant writing successes to: Mary Kay Martin, President of the Friends of James River Park electronically to [email protected]. Alternatively, please find an application below. Competitive candidates will be interviewed by phone, and in person by the Search Committee before a final decision is made. The Board will make the final decision on the hire and plans to perform an evaluation of the Executive Director on or around the anniversary of their hiring. The review and interview process will begin as qualified candidates are identified. All submissions should be made no later than April 24th, 2021. Specific inquiries can be made to: Mary Kay Martin, President, at [email protected].