The Park » JRPS is a Leave No Trace Park
Leave No Trace Principles go beyond the “Pack it in, Pack it out” rule, they provide comprehensive guidance on how to enjoy our natural world in a sustainable way that avoids human-created impacts.
The James River Park is a Leave No Trace Parks and Municipalities Partner. We encourage all visitors to the Park to follow these principles:
- Know the regulations and special concerns for the area you’ll visit.
- Prepare for extreme weather, hazards, and emergencies.
- Schedule your trip to avoid times of high use.
- Minimize your waste.
Travel on Trails
- Walk in the middle of the trail.
- Avoid places where impacts are just beginning.
- Don’t walk or ride on wet trails — using trails when are they are wet and/or muddy causes damage — if you can see your footprint or tire print behind you, the trails are too wet and should be avoided.
Dispose of Waste Properly
- Pack it in, pack it out. Pack out all trash, pet waste, leftover food and litter.
Leave What You Find
- Preserve the past: examine, but do not touch cultural or historic structures and artifacts.
- Leave rocks, plants and other natural objects as you find them.
- Avoid introducing non-native species.
- Do not build structures, furniture, or dig trenches.
- Observe wildlife from a distance. Do not follow or approach them.
- Never feed animals. Feeding wildlife damages their health, alters natural behaviors, and exposes them to predators and other dangers.
- Control pets at all times, or leave them at home.
- Avoid wildlife during sensitive times: mating, nesting, raising young, or winter.
Be Considerate of Other Users
- Respect other visitors and protect the quality of their experience.
- Be courteous. Yield to other users on the trail.
- Let nature’s sounds prevail. Avoid loud voices and noises.
Become a LNT Trainer
Leave No Trace Ethics are a great way to educate the public on ways to keep James River Parks and other state and national parks healthy. Check the global calendar for the next class or contact Penelope Davenport.